Blogger Widgets
  • Thursday, July 19, 2012

    Suicide Bridge


    My father praised me relentlessly
    from my birth; he would often say
    that it is I - of all his sons - would
    bring him glory, and that it is I,
    who would reign over his enemies.
    He would speak greatly of me; from
    dusk till dawn to anyone within an
    earshot. Many were amazed by my
    stature and prestige - as if I was
    born into royalty.

    But I pondered of my father on many
    nights; I have never spoken to him much,
    and always addressed him by a formal 'sir',
    hesitating to look in his fierce eyes. I cannot
    recall any arbitrary conversations or a genuine
    laughter shared by a father and son - he never
    took the time to learn what my interests are.

    I watched my father stumble about drunk off
    euphoria, as the horsemen of the chariot
    of time signaled to his entourage and horse
    that it was time to move on. My father in his
    drunken state would ramble of his single most
    greatest accomplishment - me, for I was a "sight
    to marvel at, the epitome of human ingenuity
    and persistence, his greatest legacy that would
    remain immortal in the hearts of all men."

    - but it was when I reached adulthood,
    that I began to have nightmares of my
    troubled past -

    From that queer day in the midst of April
    when I was born till this very moment - I
    have safeguarded a secret that no one
    knows about. I have never uttered a word
    to a single soul - in my fear of my father,
    as he would tremble in utter disgust and
    disappointment. I must confess that I am
    a grim reaper - for I witnessed silently in
    shock, the desperate pleas of people to
    provide them with a route of this cruel
    forsaken world. I'm ashamed to say that
    I willingly helped them with the faint
    markings of a smile - as I plunged their
    souls into an ocean of misery.

    I would often chuckle at the
    sight of the ocean being stained
    with their blood - it was then I
    knew that I am disturbed.

    -----
    I still remember the day when
    my mother told me that I was
    a bastard child - for I have many
    men that claim me as their son.



    Written for a club contest.
    (A poem about the history of the Golden Gate Bridge

    Post Comment

    No comments:

    Post a Comment